Thursday, October 3, 2013

Interesting article - feminism, pickup artists, and Denmark

Our friend Frank found this article recently (the title has some shock value, but the article is interesting):
http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/cockblocked-by-redistribution

One of the lines I liked was "Unlike in America, where bestsellers goad already overworked and underpaid women to Lean In even further, the assumption in Denmark is that feminism is a collective goal, not an individual pursuit"

Many things are more collective than they are in the States. There are the perceptible things, like health care and free university tuition, but there is also a feeling that being social is best. Partially from reading this book provided by the Danish Fulbright Commission and partially from witnessing it firsthand, Danes are taught and encouraged to socialize and create a collective community. Maybe equal rights for all is part of that. I can't say I have noticed anything particularly 'feminist' here, but then again I have yet to feel the opposite. We have noticed that everyone goes to lunch together, at the same time. Our dining hall on campus is only open from about 11:45-1:30, so you really must go to lunch with everyone. Jon has a similar situation at his office building. Social is best.


An aside: there were candies left in our kitchen/break room today from someone who just go back from Texas. Someone picked up the box and said "Corn syrup is the first ingredient, must be from the US" Sad but true...

1 comment:

  1. I have felt best in offices that have community. I specifically selected certain office days at my private practice in order to have community with other therapists.

    ReplyDelete