Sunday, September 15, 2013

Moving In


Last weekend was an Ikea marathon event culminating in our move into the new place. Luckily they deliver, and we were able to furnish our place (mostly) within our budget. It's slowly starting to feel homey. The last few pictures below are our living room. 

We moved to a street called Dronningens Tværgade, which is roughly pronounced liked 'drowning struggle.' Our Danish is still really rough, so we are trying to reproduce what others say and I'm sure each person has a particular accent we have yet to pick up on. Many of the letters we assume are pronounced a certain way sound very different when spoken. (Thank goodness for free Danish classes for new residents.) We got some good advice from a more seasoned foreigner - mumble and slur the word and you'll sound more like a Dane. 

We decided to wander around our neighborhood one night and found our way to the nearest canal/waterway. It was a beautiful walk - see the photos below. It was also neat that we ended up seeing the changing of the guard at the Amalienborg Castle. The guards marched between the different stations, changing out one guard per station. They didn't let anything bother them, even the couple cars that came through the intersection during their procession. All in all a surprising and fun way to end the night. 

Things we noticed:
- Most streets are cobble stone, making walking a bit difficult. I think I need sturdier shoes to walk the streets and I don't know how women walk in heels. 
- Coffee is expensive. Going to a chain coffee store (similar to Starbucks) we found that a cup of coffee was 25 kr., which is about $4. That includes the 25% sales tax, but it is still pricey. Good thing we bought a french press. 
- We can manage to do grocery shopping and check out without needing to ask a bunch of questions in English. Small steps.














3 comments:

  1. Heels + cobblestone remind me of Barnard.

    I love your living room window!! Does it look out onto water??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely has been reminding me of Barnard! Especially first year, trying to get out of the dorms and past Barnard Hall to the street.

    I wish we looked onto water, unfortunately we just look onto the next building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Helsinki and Copenhagen look so similar! It really is a beautiful adventure! So excited you have this opportunity to be your brilliant self. I brag about you constantly :-)

    ReplyDelete