Tuesday, September 3, 2013

We made it

We have safely arrived in Denmark and are sitting in our cozy temporary apartment. It is right across from a park that looks cute (although we have yet to wander around). Today we went to a very popular street in an area called Nyhavn to get lunch/dinner. There were tons of people, both Danes and tourists just eating, drinking, and enjoying the nice weather. We were serenaded by three musicians and tormented by a couple bees. I got a lunch platter with some typical Danish lunch items and Jon (to balance it out) got a burger (it came very rare, rare, or medium, nothing after that!).

Some things we've noticed:
- The street lights are suspended from power lines/cables
- Yes indeed there are tons of bikes and you best stay out of their way
- It's chilly
- People seem pretty happy
- We are shorter than most people
- It smells nice in the streets (and the airport)

Tomorrow we meet with the Fulbright office to get some administrative stuff done. Exciting times! And hopefully we will consume a couple danish from the Danish.

English newspaper

Pickled herring appetizer 

Our yummy meals

Nyhavn


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So far expensive, but we'll see if that's just because we don't know where to shop/eat yet.

      Delete
  2. I totally respect their burger cooking practices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herring me!

    I humbly request that you eat at least one herring a day for me. Do they have street vendors which sell herring (or am I confusing that with Norway)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen herring street vendors yet, mostly various types of hot dogs. I'll get back to you on that one :)

      Delete