http://copenhannah.tumblr.com/post/14228929903/how-to-look-like-a-dane
- We tried some Kim's snack chips... very tasty
- #4!! Black is the official color of all clothing. Good thing I have a lot of black clothing (thanks BC).
- #6 and #7 both pretty accurate and hilarious. My scarves are not big enough
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/how-to-piss-off-a-dane/
- I noticed I do #1 and get real answers (like discussion of menopause), I didn't really think about it until now, but it is a really weird thing to do.
- I learned the Danish shibboleth today: rødgrød med fløde - make sure to listen to the pronunciation on the link and then watch this.
- One of my favorite lines on biking "Fail to signal and you will trigger a chain reaction of last-minute breaking and a string of surprisingly violent hisses from passing bikers. They work 37-hour weeks for free healthcare and childcare. Minimum wage is over $20 and the government pays for their college education. Your failure to signal is probably the worst thing that’s happened to them in years."
- Definitely did #5 the first couple weeks.. it was indeed met with weird looks. Also something I didn't think was strange until I reexamined it here.
I also came across this article today.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/denmark-happiest-country_n_4070761.html
There are really some fundamental differences in the environment and culture. The last point in the article, Danes feel a responsibility to one another, rang especially true with my officemate and defines what I feel is one of the biggest differences between Denmark and the US. Gender equality, parental support, climate change - the obligation to be better to each other seems to be the underlying motivation for action. Recycle because it will help all Danes in the long run, encourage biking because it makes everyone healthier, promote women to government because it has not always been that fair. It is something that I did not notice right away, it is not obvious; over time I have just experienced and seen small things that make a difference. I would also contrast it to what I saw in Japan. There is definitely a similar feeling (many have probably heard me talk about the lack of trash cans in Tokyo), but then again there is something very different about it. I think part has to do with social status and gender (gender roles are very different in Japan). It is a truly interesting cultural phenomenon - one I'm sure I'll reflect on after a few more months.
Thoughts?
It seems odd they'd worry about a pretty gal smiling at children - I mean, I get a guy being possibly skeezy, but really, weird looks for a woman?
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't really a weird look as much as it was just weird. I think my US experience would go something like this - see a cute baby, smile and make faces, have the mother/father/caregiver smile, maybe chat about babies, then continue on. Here, I got no response from the parents, no smiles, no acknowledging looks. I guess it's the feedback I was missing (likely because it is seen as an odd thing to do). No one has given me the 'Yay babies are cute' look (know what I mean?).
ReplyDelete