Sunday, November 17, 2013

Multicultural Dinner Party

We recently joined a group called CPH Volunteers in order to get more involved in the community. The first event we saw on the calendar was a Multicultural Dinner Party - sounded good to me. I queried facebook to see what I should make to "represent the USA" and got some good suggestions including:
- Fried chicken
- Tuna noodle casserole
- Pecan pie
- Hamburgers
- Fajitas
- Friend Oreos
- Mac and cheese
- Crisco on a dish
- Apple pie
- BLT
- Meat loaf
I ended up making something a little different, since I needed to serve many and carry it 10 minutes in the cold. I ended up with... California chili, grilled cheese with grilled onions, and brownies. I figured chili was easy to make and easier to share, it's "California" because I added beans and I have always been told that Texans don't consider it chili if it has beans. Grilled cheese was a huge hit, I made a ton and it went quickly. Brownies are always a crowd pleaser, although I had to estimate on the portions because I didn't have measuring cups. Good thing I've made them often enough.

It was a great night, interesting to taste food from all over the world and also to see how Danes react to other foods. From the US, we met a few students studying abroad, and had a standoff with a Texan woman and her chili. I especially enjoyed the Scandinavian spread - good to see what others believe are typical dishes. Rice pudding with cherry sauce is very tasty, hopefully I'll find a good recipe before we leave. Night ended with Polish folk dancing. What else could you ask for..


California chili and grilled cheese with grilled onions

Brownies (don't worry there is another lawyer below it)

Our table - I guess there weren't too many from our area, since it covers all of the Americas, Australia, and Africa

Eastern Europe table - the Moldovan food was great



Some of the food from Southeast Asia - yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment